Our Home and Community Care Department
Our caring, professionally certified staff provide a range of services for people of all ages who need care in their homes in the Nass Valley.
Home and Community Care Services can help seniors and people with complex medical conditions to live safely and comfortably in their own homes for as long as possible. We support people managing chronic health issues, recovering from a medical setback, or with special needs or a disability. As well, we offer respite services to provide caregivers with much-needed time off.
Our staff develop relationships with clients based on respect and trust. The program incorporates Nisga’a culture and supports clients in using their wilp in the process of palliative care and dying.
How the program works
If you or someone you know could benefit from our services, contact us at 250-633-5025 or toll free at 1-888-233-2212 Ext: 5025. Anyone can request services if they have discussed it with the individual. Doctors, nurses, and other medical professionals also refer clients.
When we receive requests and referrals, we set up a home visit. A nurse will then complete an assessment and intake form.
Based on the assessment, we create a care plan and schedule. Services can begin immediately, depending on our staffing capacity. Staff monitor the client’s status and communicate with authorized family members and health professionals to modify the plan of care as needed.
Home care services are provided only to clients who wish to receive it.
Services & Programs
Help at Home
- Bath and shower assistance
- Occasional light housework or meal preparation, when staffing allows
- Medication monitoring and prescription delivery when needed
Health Care Support
- Vital signs monitoring
- Jet therapy at clinic
- Foot care: A foot care Nurse Specialist visits every two months. Book appointments through Angela Azak at 250-633-5025 or 1-888-233-2212 ext. 5025.
- Organizing of, transportation to, and attendance at medical appointments
- Assistance in the transition to a care facility
- Equipment loan: Hospital beds, shower stairs, commodes, toilet seats risers, lifts, in-house walkers, transfer poles, overbed tables, tub rails, and more
- Help accessing other equipment such as wheelchairs or outdoor walkers
- Respite care in the home or clinic, when staffing allows
- Coordination of overnight respite services
- Coordination of longer respite opportunities with a long-term care facility when available (this service can provide a gradual introduction to long-term care)
- Donna Moore, RNc Home Care Nurse Manager
- Marcia Smythe, RN ½ time Home Care Nurse
Home Care Nurse Assistants/Health Care Aides
- Trishia Gosnell-Stephens (Gitlaxt’aamiks/Gitwinksihlkw)
- Carrie Breisch (Gitlaxt’aamiks/Gitwinksihlkw)
- Florence Nisyok (Advanced Respite Worker)
- Andrea Clayton (Laxgalts’ap/Gingolx)
- Sierra Clifton (Gingolx/Laxgalts’ap)
Looking for help with housework, meal prep, etc?
Contact your local Village Government about these services.
If you are looking primarily for home-making support, such as house cleaning, laundry, meal preparation, and yard work, please contact your local Village Government about these services.